Friday, August 12, 2011

Review:The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

"Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along"



Review:

Plot: The plot was decent, there are things about it and things I didn't like about it. The thing that I liked the most about the plot was the whole summer romance idea, but then it got weird. The love triangle was strange and I thought Belly didn't really know what she wanted and it got confusing. The only other element in the plot is that Conrad starts acting different and no one knows why and that Belly thinks there something going on with Susannah.

Characters: The characters are this books biggest downfall. I have never ever read a more annoying main character than Belly. She was selfish and spoiled. Most of the book was her complaining about not fitting in with the boys, and her bestfriend, and she didn't like anything her dad did to make her feel comfortable at his new apartment. I couldn't understand why Belly like Conrad, he was boring and mean. I also didn't really like Cam that much, he just annoyed me. The only characters I liked were Jeremiah and Susannah. They were the only characters that I could actually relate with.

Writing: The writing was pretty good, there wasn't anything that really stood out to me, but it wasn't bad. The were also flash back chapters that I really liked and thought that was a good idea.The book was also well paced.

Overall: I thought this book was just okay. If the characters were a little better I would have liked the book a lot more. The ending was very good and very suprising, and that's the only reason I want to read the next book. I give it a 2.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment