Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

"Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been a part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans - except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibilty for countless lives, and to change the course of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost. "


First of all, I recommend not reading this review if you have not read the first two books in the series. I have reviews on both of the first two books on my blog. Also, I'm going to do this review half non spoiler and half spoiler. Chapter Chick style. I will warn you in big letters or something when the spoiler section is coming. Another thing I started doing is writing down quotes that I liked while I was reading. I'm not going to share all of them with you but I while share a few of my favorites. I will also make sure to put them in the right sections (non- spoiler and spoiler) so nothing gets ruined if you haven't read the book.


NON-SPOILER:

"In his interview, he tried to protect me from the Capitol and rebels alike, and not only have I failed to protect him, I've brought down more horrors upon him." Pg. 116

"Here began countless days of hunting and snaring, fishing and gathering, roaming together through the woods, unloading our thoughts while we filled our game bags. This was the doorway to both sustenance and sanity. And we were each other's key." Pg. 127

"What will break me? This is the question that consumes me over the next three days as we wait to be released from our prison of safety. What will break me into a million pieces so that I am beyond repair, beyond usefulness? I mention it to no one, but it devours my waking hours and weaves itself throughout my nightmares." Pg. 152


I picked those three qoutes to share with you because it shows how amazing Suzanne Collins can write. Her writing is so descriptive but in an unique way. I've said this before about her writing but I can say it again, I find myself reading parts over and over because I can't get over the way they're written. I obviously love the series like I've said in my Hunger Games and Catching Fire reviews. Some parts of this book I hated, I'm not going to lie I hated them so much but the ending made up for it. A lot of people didn't like the ending, but I loved it so much. It's what I wanted to happen and for the most part I thought it was going to turn out the way I didn't want it too. Maybe thats why I hated some parts? I don't know. Another thing I loved about this book and the whole series is how unpredictable it is. You think that one thing is going to happen and then all of a sudden the opposite happens. The relationships in this series are good I think. The only one that turns me off is the relationship between Katniss and her mother. Overall, if you love dystopia you will love this book, and even if your not a fan of dystopia you should check it out anyways. I give this book a 9.5/10 and the whole series a 28/30 (added up all of my ratings on each book).

Now the spoiler section. Please do not read if you do not want to be spoiled.







SPOILER SECTION!









CAUTION!



Alrighty I'm so excited for this new edition to my reviews!

So, can I just say OMG to the ending? I'm so happy that Katniss ended up with Peeta! If she was with Gale I would have ripped the book apart and put all three in the trash (just kidding :]). No, but I wouldn't have liked the book so much, that is for sure. Also, for me it came out of no where when Peeta and Katniss saw each other for the first time since the Quarter Quell and he started choking her! I was like " awww how cute they get to see each other and be happy again!" and then her starts choking her. I think my jaw was dropped for the next 20 minutes. I'm so glad that he went back to loving her though. I will put in a qoute that I really like between Peeta and Katniss at the end. I loved the whole hijacking idea, I thought it was a great twist to the story. A twist to the story that I didn't like was Prim's death. Katniss and Prim had such a loving relationship and everything Katniss did was to protect Prim. I didn't really understand how Prim got in front of Snow's mansion though, does anyone want to clear that up? One thing that really made me mad, but I think was great to put in the story, Gale completely forgot about about Katniss at the end of the book. I thought he would at least talk to Katniss, maybe it was spite because Katniss chose Peeta. But then again, didn't she choose Peeta because Gale wasn't around anymore? I don't know, but either way I'm happy she's with Peeta.

I can't wait for the movie to come out! But I can't believe they chose Jennifer Lawernce for Katniss. Katniss has dark hair and silver eyes and she's not supposed to be pretty. Jennifer Lawernce is gorgeous with blond hair and high cheek bones and she looks way to mature for Katniss. Does anyone agree?

Okay, one more quote.....

"I clench his hands to the point of pain. "Stay with me?"
His pupils contract to pin points, dilate again rapidly, and then return to something rese,bling normalcy. "Always," he murmurs." Pg. 314

Favorite quote between Peeta and Katniss, and in the whole series! Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment